Taco Tuesday Special: Who Likes Chicken Tacos?

I've got to say, chicken tacos can be amazing when you're in the mood for them. Also, I'm always in the mood for them. They're fairly healthy and scrumptious.
Recently I stumbled upon the perfect recipe for chicken tacos. I used it once, and it was pretty good. Then I lost the recipe somewhere. So this past weekend I had to make it from memory. Here's what I came up with.

Turn on a crock pot to high. Add 2 cups of salsa, 1 packet of taco seasoning, 2-4 cups water (will explain shortly), and 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts.

My chicken was straight from a bag out of the freezer. The reason I have the variance in water added is because I don't think it was in the original recipe at all. I'm new to cooking with a slow cooker, but I'd think it would help if the chicken strips were completely submerged. So I added about 3 cups of water and the chickens were swimming. Potentially the less water you add, the more concentrated the flavoring and therefore the stronger the tastiness.

After I stirred all that up and got the taco seasoning dissolved, I went to chopping. I like chopping with a knife. Sure the 'chopper' in my kitchen is noisy and convenient, but holding a sharp knife in your hand with intentions to slash something up just seems like fun. What did I chop this last time? Half an onion and a whole bell pepper. I think the recipe called for green. Green would have been good too. But I didn't have green at my house. So I added an orange bell pepper.

Let this cook for 4 hours or so. Hey, you were the one who put the stuff in the slow cooker. Did you expect the chicken to defrost and absorb all that flavor in 15 minutes? Impatient people... The first time I made this I threw it all together in the morning and set it on Low. Then I went to work. By the time I was ready to eat that evening, it was all done.

Obviously you don't want to eat uncooked chicken. So find the largest piece in the pot, cut it in half, and check to be SURE that it's the right color inside. You don't want to mess with uncooked chicken. One time I used my teeth to rip open a freezer bag of uncooked chicken, and you know what happened to me? I got lectured by my mother for 10 minutes about something called salmonella. It sounds like a female fish, but apparently it's a deadly disease found on uncooked chicken. I thought it was just in peanut butter crackers, but apparently this disease 'gets around'.

After all your chicken's cooked thru, take it out of the pot. Now use a fork and knife (or fork and fork, or whatever) to shred it into tiny pieces. I assume you have taco shells with your shredded cheese of choice ready and waiting? Of course you do. Add the chicken on top of the cheese.

My finishing touch? Use a slotted spoon to scoop some yummy peppers and onion out of the crock pot and put those on top. I'm a plain-and-simple taco eater. If you like lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, or shrimp on your tacos, feel free to add them. I'm not trying to limit your taco creativity.

Now I wrap them up and eat them just like that. You might want to nuke them for a couple seconds in case your chicken approached room temperature during preparation.

Now I know there were a little bit of leftovers when my family of four got done eating. Like one piece of chicken, juice, onion and pepper bits, for example. Well unbeknownst to me, my father found the juice to be quite tasty. I guess the salsa and chicken mixture had formed a kind of soup. So the next day he tore up the chicken, added it to a cup of the juice, and had at it! A whole different angle I didn't even consider using those ingredients for. Obviously your amount of water added would decide whether this was too salty or too bland for a good soup. Enjoy!

-adapted from WikiHow