My Favorite Movies! Number 2

#2: Shawshank Redemption
WARNING: POST HAS QUOTES THAT CONTAIN LANGUAGE.
It shouldn't surprise most of you by now that my list just doesn't sync with most people's. A lot of movies have personal significance. And in all honesty, since starting this list there has been some rethinking and movement in the ranks. But rest assured, I still love all these movies. Maybe it's just that I'm realizing I'm not IN love with them. Ya know?
That was a joke. A bad one. Relax. No worries.
Anyway, this wonderful prison movie is about Andy Dufresne who gets sent to prison for killing his wife and her lover in a drunken rage. He seems a quiet type. As Red puts it, Andy looks like a tall drink of water that would be bowled over by a stiff breeze.
Slowly but surely, we get to know Andy and the other inmates. Red is the guy you go to for things you want. More often than not, this involves the trading of money and/or cigarettes. Andy used to be a banker, and he likes to play chess. And the Sisters are a gang of 'bull queers' who take an eye to Andy. I don't like this part anymore than anyone else, but that's exactly the behavior reported of many inmates over the years.
But eventually Andy escapes them permanently. He finds a way to use his banking skills in the prison. He starts with doing the taxes of all the prison staff, and it builds from there.
I really love the journey we get to go on with these guys. Years pass and they grow personally and as a 'band of brothers' kind of attitude. And as with all great movies, it has its own pack on delightful one-liners which I enjoy quoting when I can.
Heywood: The Count of Monte Crisco...
Floyd: That's "Cristo" you dumb shit.
Heywood: ...by Alexandree Dumb-ass. Dumb-ass.
Andy Dufresne: Dumb-ass? "Dumas". You know what it's about? You'll like it, it's about a prison break.
Red: We oughta file that under "Educational" too, oughten we?

Red: The man likes to play chess; let's get him some rocks.

Tommy Williams: So I'm backing out the door, right, and I got the TV, like this; it was a big old thing, I couldn't see shit; suddenly I hear this voice, "Police, kid, hands in the air." You know, I was standing there, holdin' on to that TV, so finally the voice says, "You hear what I said, boy?" And I say, "Yes sir, I sure did, but if I drop this fucking thing you got me on destruction of property too."
Andy Dufresne: Maybe it's time for you to switch careers.
Tommy Williams: Huh?
Andy Dufresne: What I mean is, you don't seem to be a very good thief, maybe you should try something else.
Tommy Williams: Yeah, well, what the hell do you know about it Capone? What are you in for?
Andy Dufresne: Me? My lawyer fucked me. Everybody's innocent in here. Didn't you know that?

Andy's played by Tim Robbins. Red is Morgan Freeman. You've probably seen a couple of these other actors around the block, but their names certainly don't spring to mind. So sorry, under appreciated supporting cast.
Anywho, pay attention to the ratings on this one. Think about it: grown men stuck in a prison for years on end, doing what men typically do, and many doing what imprisoned men are accused of typically doing. Does that sound like a lovely family film?

That's rhetorical.