My Favorite Movies! Numbers 17-19

This is a continuation on my series of posts with similar names. As usual, I promote checking ratings for age appropriateness for yourself and others you may watch it with.
Click here for movies 23-25.
Click here for movies 20-22.
I've done 23-25, 20-22, and now here's 17-19. I'll mention again that these movies above the top 10 aren't so much focused on an actual ranking. Number 11 isn't sure to be any better in my mind than number 23. All 11-25 rankings say is that I prefer these to movies that didn't make my list. They can fluctuate from time to time as well. I may be adjusting in the future for The Dark Knight because I just can't get over the Joker's awesome creepiness.
Here we go!

#17: We Were Soldiers
I love the dichotomy presented in this movie. At the beginning it's got a fair bit of comedy relief and one-liners as they train the audience is introduced to all the characters. Sam Elliott barely says a word that isn't hilarious throughout the film. Greg Kinnear and Mel Gibson are the other two big names in the film.
The movie is about the events leading up to and including the Battle of la Drang in November 1965. It really adds a human element to it, getting to know all these different types of people in the unit. I also felt quite sorry for the taxi drivers. I mean, the whole nature in which they handled this situation was poor. But at least the military members and their families had considered this outcome before. That taxi driver was totally dragged into a situation he didn't sign up for to do a job he never should've had to do.
I'm sure I could use this movie to launch into a discussion of war and how it's handled (or messed up) by politicians and higher-ups that never see the action they send others to. But that's far from the point of this post, or this blog for that matter.



#18: Out Cold
Now on to a goofy and awkward comedy! Even the cover of the box trumpets it as a version of Animal House. It's goofy and at no point even tries to make a serious point, unless you get hung up on the corporate takeover concept. But even that's a joke, by and large. Not appropriate for children. The main actor (no clue his name) was also in Mallrats back in the day. And I think the original owner of the ski town plays a bald gay dude on Sex & the City. I've seen him in the commercials, I don't watch the show. Oh, and the goofy maintenance guy who narrates the end of the movie is David Koechner, who has been in such film classics as Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and Unaccompanied Minors.
Basic plot of this film is a ski town that faces a corporate takeover by a rich guy who isn't nice to people unless he needs them. It helps draw a simple line between the good (the innocent and fun-loving townsfolk) and the bad (an abominable jerk with too much money who gets married every 5 minutes and affectionately calls people names like Retard). It certainly has its inappropriate parts, but is also the source of a couple one-liners, such as one of my personal favorites: "Carpe the Diem... Seize the carp!"



#19: Warriors of Virtue
Barring an obvious dislike of the religious undertones of the world of Tao, this movie is a feel-good story for kids. The main kid in the film is always down and has a bad knee. This keeps him from playing sports and being cool and having girlfriends. A chef friend tells him about another world called Tao where his knee wouldn't matter and all the people seek is to become one with nature and the world.
Sure enough, the popular kids reach out to the wayward youngster and dare him to cross a pipe over a dangerous sewage whirlpool. As luck would have it, he falls in and is magically transported to the land of Tao! Here he meets 5 kung fu kangaroos locked in a battle with a villain given to dressing in fruity colors. There is a touch of language, but that also provides one of the greatest moments of humor in the whole film. There's a token midget (which every movie should have, in my humble opinion), and the bad guy drops a great line that I think he stole from another movie called the Warriors. Right before the fight scene, he says in a creepily cool fashion, "Warriors, come out and play!"
This movie makes the list for personal reasons. After I moved back to the United States in 1996 and started going to public school, I found that most of the kids were interested in what Japanese swear words I knew. Past that I was just a new and weird fat kid. But the few friends I had all enjoyed this movie. Granted we were young and stupid (weren't we all at some point?), but the film still strikes a personal chord with me since it helped be a uniting factor between me and the only friends I had.
I tried to post a movie for this one. But for whatever reason, the site I got it from didn't agree with the site. At least it wasn't displaying right for me. But that's okay. I have it on VHS if anyone who knows me wants to borrow it.

Alrighty. That wraps up another three movies from the list. Stay tuned for the next installment which will likely be posted in the next week or so. Feel free to discuss or comment on any of the films here. And it's never too early to start making guesses as to what movies are farther down in the pecking order. Above all, I hope everyone has a pleasant day.