Denver at a Glance

I'm not going to go into any pressing detail. But I am going to make a brief summary of what I observed while Denver.
It's a lovely city, with a couple collections of very tall buildings. I come from Kansas City, where there's one downtown area. It's small, and you only go there if you work there. For Denver, they had both a downtown and a very nice Denver Tech Center (typically called the DTC for short). One of the big things I didn't get to experience was actually visiting downtown Denver. I did, however, see it from my room on the 8th floor of the DTC building in which my class met.
The other thing I would've liked to experience (especially since they randomly consider putting one in KC) would be the light-rail system. KC's mass transit is basically nonexistent. Sure we've got a couple buses.... The system was integrated around the major highways that help you move around the city. So it already had the convenience factor. If they had any kind of regular or timely schedule for their pickups and drop-offs, and reasonable prices considering, I'm sure it's a dream to use. But as I said, I missed out on that.
Overall I did think driving in Denver was pretty easy. By that I mean the highways and roadways were well laid out to help you reach your destination in an organized fashion. There were two little caveats I found to this. One is the DTC itself, in which the roads are all named near the same thing and rarely stick to a North/South or East/West trajectory. Instead they like to make large, banking curves. And since my rental car had no built-in compass, those curves usually served one basic purpose: confusing my internal sense of direction. The other caveat is the sheer amount of traffic. When they have stop lights at the TOP of the on-ramp to indicate whether you can get on the highway right now, I'd say you have a bit of a traffic issue. Luckily with the times the class started and got out, I was rarely on the road during the peak traffic, and for the most part drove non-highway routes.
The locals were friendly enough. I guess everyone has a habit of complaining about their local weather. But coming from KC to Denver, and hearing a local complain about 30% humidity, was awe-inspiring. I don't think KC gets down to 30% in the middle of the night. I'd hear things like "oh, the air's so heavy" and "when you walk outside, it really hits you". My clear indicator that these people are off their rockers: I'm a big guy, and I had to eat a large meal and walk 5 city blocks before I started sweating. Whereas in good old KC, I open the door to go outside and start sweating. Because in KC, not only is the sun beating down on you, the air around you is also boiling.
Other post ideas: restaurants, classmates, Double Tree Hotel, Hertz, and Denver International Airport. Those are all the ones that spring to mind. I write these ideas here, hoping that it'll inspire me to write each of those as posts in the future.